Benefits of QMS
Quality management system (QMS) standards establish a framework for how a business manages its key processes. They can help whether your business offers products or services and regardless of your size or industry. They can also help new businesses start off on the right foot by ensuring processes meet recognised standards, clarifying business objectives and avoiding expensive mistakes.
To comply with the standard you'll first need to implement a QMS. Implementing a QMS can help your business to:
- Achieve greater consistency in the activities involved in providing products or services
- Reduce expensive mistakes
- Increase efficiency by improving use of time and resources
- Improve customer satisfaction
- Market your business more effectively
- Exploit new market sectors and territories
- Manage growth more effectively by making it easier to integrate new employees
- Constantly improve your products, processes and systems
For example, the quality system of a manufacturing business might include looking at more efficient manufacturing processes or speeding up distribution.
The ISO 9000 series of standards is the main set of International Standards applying to the management of quality systems. It includes ISO 9001, the key internationally agreed standard for a QMS. Businesses can be certified against this standard when they meet its requirements.
Achieving ISO 9001 certification could lead to new business. Not only can it help distinguish you from competitors, but many large businesses and public sector organisations require suppliers to be ISO 9001 certified. It's a globally recognised achievement, so may lead to a higher profile and increased business overseas.
Learn more in our Business Management Systems section.